Showing posts with label Waddington. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Waddington. Show all posts

Skiing the North Face of MT Tiedemann - Radiant Cirque Round III



The nice thing about having a "blog" that isn't really open to public viewing, is that you can go almost two years without an update and no one will comment or even notice really! But today, for whatever reason, the time seems right to add a report on the most recent noteworthy trip I've been involved in, which wasn't that recent anymore!

In the beginning of May 2010, Chris Clark and I flew into the Waddington Range with the goal of skiing off the summit of the area's second highest peak, Mount Tiedemann, and down its North Face into the Radiant Cirque. This would be the third time I'd gone after some sort of objective in this Cirque, which I consider to be one of the scarier mountain environments I've been in - a lot of exposure to a lot of hazards a lot of the time...

Round 1 had taken place back in the fall of 2008 when Michael Down and I completed a new route on Sera V's northern side, but failed to summit the mountain itself (report here).

Round 2 never received a write-up. Michael Down and I had gone back in the summer of 2009 and attempted a new route on Asperity's north side, but were shut down and spent the majority of our time in our moderately exposed tent waiting anxiously for Mike King to take a breather from fighting forest fires so he could fly in to pick us up. A mentally tough couple days (no actual close calls but still scary!).

This trip, round 3, would be my first time ever in the Waddington range with skis so I really had no clue what to expect. I'd been below Tiedemann's north face on two trips previous and knew the line would go in the right conditions, but to start I needed three things: a plan of attack, a weather window, and a solid partner.

The plan for acquiring a plan of attack was fairly simple - ask Michael Down a gazillion questions until it all became clear. Michael had been part of the first team to ascend the face, back in '82, and so was a terrifically invaluable source of information (as he is with most things relating to the Waddington range). After this interrogation and bugging John Scurlock (site here) to send me some photos, I felt I had three good options for how to go about approaching and skiing the face.

A solid parter - I felt really fortunate to know a bunch of people who more than qualified as this, and in the end Chris Clark stepped up and made the commitment to come along. Chris's calmness and wisdom, brought on by years of gettin'er done in the mountains all over the world, proved to be the most important contributor to our eventual success.

Weather/conditions - well these could have been much better and they could have been much worse. I started to have my doubts a couple weeks before our proposed fly-in date when Craig McGee, perhaps the most accomplished Wad Range ski mountaineer around, sent out a report following his April trip to the area and called conditions "the most difficult he'd experienced in his 20 years of guiding in the range". Temperatures had been cold and a lot of faces were blue and debatably not skiable. I corresponded with Craig (whom I've never actually met) in several e-mails which was ultimately encouraging as he continually reminded me that "you never know until you go"...

Still, flying into the Waddington range isn't cheap and it was tough for Chris and I to commit to taking that plunge, but a high-pressure ridge appeared to be setting-up and we managed to convince ourselves that we'd be able to find something skiable if we went, or at the very least summit something or other.

We were delayed in Tatla Lake for a night, waiting as the clouds dropped the last of their snows on that tiny little town. The next day began foggily so we killed time playing basketball with Les, our pilot, until it looked clear enough down the valley to give it a go. Mike King's ranch/heli base on Bluff Lake is a little piece of heaven on earth and as the sun started poking through the fog it was easy to start second guessing our decision to leave this comfort and safety only to be dropped somewhere far less hospitable. But so it goes...

Suby's first trip to Mike King's Ranch.

Bluff Lake and White Saddle Mountain.

The flight-in was pretty spectacular with perfect visibility and almost no wind at all - a rarity for the area which allowed us to really examine and photograph our potential escape options from higher on the mountain, as a backup for poor weather. Les was then able to put us down on a bench on the Chaos Glacier, which had been our preferred drop-point from the start. So far so good.

Tiedemann's North Face - As seen on the flight in.

Skis/skins on and roped for glacier travel, we toured up to the face leads to the Tiedemann/Damocles col, our first objective and planned camp site. With the exception of the altitude and a moderately stupid episode involving a bergschrund, everything was going pretty smoothly. Soon, however, the snow gave out - skis off, crampons on - and we were on HARD ice for the rest of the way to the col.

Looking up towards the Tiedemann-Damocles Col.

Looks snowy but it's not! Hard ice beneath about 10cm's of snow.

When you've been ski-touring all winter, it's so easy to forget just how time consuming basic travel in a technical alpine environment can be. This was a pretty harsh reminder - running belay on pretty simple ground, but with the size/weight of our packs, the altitude and hard ice, progress was really slow. We crested the col just before sunset, eventually found a spot to dig in a tent platform and setup camp.

Camp

Considering it was the second week of May, temperatures were pretty cold, dropping past -20C at night. As a result we were moving a little slow in the morning, and so decided to wander up Tiedemann's ridge without skis to see if we could get out onto the face and asses conditions. This ascent was mostly straight forward, with a small mixed step just above camp followed by a ridge walk on hard snow. Once high enough, we took turns belaying each other out onto the face to take a look. Considering how much blue-ice we were seeing around us, it's fair to say we were both essentially doing our due diligence, but deep down felt the line wouldn't go and we'd be skunked. Getting out onto the face changed this a little - there was definitely a lot of exposed ice around, but there also appeared to be a ribbon of skiable snow that ran the length of the face on lookers right. There was some serious role-over though, and it was hard to tell how deep the snow actually was. We'd already crossed some ground where hard ice was covered by a couple cm's of light snow; definitely not something you could get a ski to grip on.

Mount Combatant with the upper Chaos glacier below.

We returned to camp, having gathered about as much information as we could, brewed up and tried to relax....

Julian trying to relax.

Chris actually relaxing.

Morning broke much like the day before: cold and clear, though this time there was a dense blanket of clouds below us over the Scimitar, Chaos and Radiant glaciers. Drink, eat, pack and we started back up Tiedemann's ridge, this time with skis.

Chris on water detail

Looking into the Radiant Cirque, with Sera's 5, 4 and 3 visible.


On our way back up the ridge.

Standing atop Mt Tiedemann was the oddest summiting I'd ever experienced. Though it's the second tallest peak in the range, our style hadn't been pure as our heli drop on the Chaos glacier had greatly facilitated our approach by avoiding some hazards and the sheer vertical faced when ascending from the valley bottom. We'd been aware of this all along though, and weren't too concerned since our objective was to ski Tiedemann's north face and not simply summit the mountain. Still, this attitude led to an emotionally bizarre summit experience since we still hadn't even started skiing and "success" remained relatively far away.

I don't remember Chris actually being this stoked!

Mount Waddington and the Tooth.

Yay summit...

We didn't talk much up there, both retreating into our own little worlds as we prepared to descend. We knew from the ascent that the portion of ridge we'd have to ski to get into the face would be pretty intense. Glare-like snow and huge exposure. I had noted that for the first few turns a fall to the right would be unavoidably fatal, while a fall to the left would allow for about three metres of self-arrest room before it too would spell the end. But at the same time, I knew it could be skied relatively safely. So much of skiing is about trusting our body and our instincts, and believing that our auto-pilot has your back. Just before dropping in, Chris delivered this simple but very relevant piece of advice: "OK, so no over-the-handlebars, butt-checks only". Sometimes it's most important to be reminded of the things we already know well.

Dropping!

As expected, the ridge was pretty gnarly and survival skiing was the name of the game. Soon Chris was venturing out onto the face proper. Snow looked good, but with every turn there was a fear that we'd hit a sheet of ice under a bit of fresh and go for a long ride. We leap-frogged, slowly gaining more confidence in the conditions. It wasn't until the last "pitch" when Chris announced "this is fun!" that I realised it really was, and started to enjoy turns on the last, slightly lower angled section (45 degrees?) of the face.

In the thick of it.


Ski tracks shots are always essential.

This is fun? Oh yeah - this IS fun! Lower on the face.


Then there was the bergschrund. I hadn't really anticipated much trouble here and even as we arrived above it I was all for the "send it!" approach. Fortunately Chris, in his wisdom, didn't feel the same so I setup a belay for him to inspect the drop from closer-up. Turned out we were looking at a drop in the 40 to 60 foot range... Ooops! We tried to dig deep to find some ice for a rappel anchor, but of course now that we needed ice there was none to be found anywhere. We had no snow pickets and felt the snow was too unconsolidated at this spot to build a natural snow anchor. Eventually Chris, while on belay, managed to find a way below a serac, traversing to easier ground and a spot where the bergschrund was only a couple feet tall. We unroped and pointed it off the face trying to get to our prospective safe spot as quickly as possible. I was now back in the upper Radiant cirque proper for the third time - wooo hooo!


Deaking the 'schrund.

The cirque felt no less dangerous than it ever had in the past. Huge teetering seracs high above us everywhere had me feeling like the whole place could destruct at any moment. Somehow, Chris seemed to be enjoying his visit to the upper Radiant and was later surprised when I announced that I might be done with that particular area for good!

Chris happy to be in the Radiant Cirque; Julian looking forward to getting out.

Part of Tiedemann's north face (foreshortened view).

Getting out of there. We'd scoped our exist from our camp the day before. A couple zig-zags with skis and skins on would lead to another bergshrund and then a steep, funnel-like couloir that topped out right next to our tent. Fairly straight forward with a bit of thrashing through loose-ish snow at the steepest section (65-70 degrees?) and by mid/late afternoon we were back in camp, feeling REALLY good!

The way back to camp.

Home stretch

We weren't moving too quickly the next morning, but the plan was to break camp and begin our exit which would take us over Mnt Combatant to a long ski run down to the Scimitar Glacier. Combatant's north face looked steep and icy, and the prospect of climbing this with 70 lbs packs (once skis were attached), 4 ice screws and only one technical ice-tool each was a little daunting. More importantly, having succeeded on our main objective, our motivation was waning and it was pretty easy to make the decision to radio Les and ask for a pickup where he'd dropped us off.

With camp broken and bags packed, we briefly entertained the idea of skiing down to the Chaos glacier, thinking we could simply edge across the hard ice towards softer snow. I put my skis on and with Chris's belay started out. I only made it about two metres before I realised there was NO WAY this ice could be skied. Gingerly, I made my way back to Chris so we could come up with another plan. In the end, we had to simul-downclimb most of the face before putting on our skis for a couple gentle turns at the bottom.

A short lived experiment. It looked skiable, but way too icy.

Nice turns once we could finally ski.

One hour later Les was cruising up in the heli and soon we were flying back towards Bluff Lake.

Les zeroing-in

All told, this was an amazing trip. We lucked-out with weather and conditions still allowed us to eek out our descent. I know we both learned a ton too - on the drive back to Vancouver we compiled a multi-page list of all we would have done differently, or would do differently next time. Live and learn right? Personally, I'm just very grateful Chris was able to help make this happen and for the support we both received from a whole bunch of people. Thanks!

The Line

All photos are credited to Chris Clark.



Radiant Cirque - Waddington Range 08



When Michael Down mentioned he had booked a week off in mid-september for a trip to the Waddington range and needed a partner, the idea was more than appealing but it seemed unrealistic to involve myself in the plan.  I had spent more time climbing than working during the summer and finances were getting uncomfortably low.  September to November seemed to perfect time to earn some money in preparation for the upcoming winter.

But as time rolled by and the labour day weekend drew to an end, I found myself still unemployed and it no longer seemed such a stretch to avoid work for a week and a half longer to fit in a trip.  Funny how one's perception can change so entirely, especially when its a question of work versus play!  

Once I'd confirmed my participation we began to plan for our objective.  Actually, we discussed several options within a several hundred kilometer radius and left it at that.  It wasn't until we were driving out of Vancouver that we decided to commit to an attempt on a north face route of Serra 5.  We drove to Williams Lake from Vancouver, slept, then drove the rest of the way to Bluff Lake, arriving at the White Saddle Air Services ranch at 7:30am.


Bluff Lake 

Mike King, the owner/operator/pilot at White Saddle came down to greet us and before long we were airborn, flying in perfect skies towards the Radiant Cirque.  This was my first time flying in from the dry Chilkoten side of the Coast Range.  The views were no less or more spectacular but differed greatly as a result of the topography's relative openness and aridity.


The dry side of the Coast Range


Approaching the Radiant Cirque, with Mt's Tiedemann, Asperity, and the Serras clearly visible.

Our initial plan had been to get dropped off on the large bench between the Radiant's upper and lower icefalls.  We would then spend the day making our way through the messy upper icefall and the next couple days working the route.  As we flew in, it became clear we'd need a change of plans; the icefall was in terrible shape and looked impassible from the air.  Fortunately Mike King was able to toe-in just below Asperity's north face above the fall, providing us with relatively clear access to our route and saving us from a lot of danger and sweat.  Minutes later Mike was gone and we were alone in this very remote and eerily beautiful part of the Coast Range.



Wishing to waste no time, we quickly found a good spot for camp several hundred feet below the drop.  Once setup was complete we set out to establish a route to the base of the face we hoped to climb he next day.  Michael calls the Radiant "the Khumbu of the Coast Range" and it wasn't hard to see why as even in this relatively unbroken part of the cirque toppling seracs could be heard frequently.  Route finding was tricky at times but we were able to reach the base of the route and return to the tent before dark.

Room with a view


A foreshortened look at the route - the direct line that meets the ridge lookers right of the summit horn

We left the tent at dawn the next morning with the skies clear and the temperature around -10C.  Retracing our footsteps from the day before, we arrived at the bergshrund that separates the glacier from the north face shortly before 9am.  Michael led up and across a vertical stretch of ice to breach the crevasse and then climbed up the face for the remainder of a rope length.  From this point we swung leads, working our way slowly up the face.  The climbing was fairly straight forward but took time due to a sugary layer of snow that had to be hacked through in order to reach any water-ice.  Sometimes placing a screw safely proved a tiring and time-consuming task but at least our calf muscles were spared the torture of standing on front-point for hours on end!








Sun setting on the Radiant with the Scimitar glacier visible in the distance

I reached the ridge at dusk, joining our climb with the original summit route.  By the time Michael arrived we needed our headlamps to see clearly.  The wind was howling and while we contemplated a bivy, no suitable spot could be found so we made the decision to abandon the summit and start moving down.  

We spent the next few hours methodically making our way down the face.  The fact that I hadn't been drinking water for most of the day or managed to eat anything was now catching up with me, as I began to feel nauseous  and mildly delirious.  I drifted off to sleep often, only to be woken by Michael's call of "SECURE" from below.  Recognizing that I wasn't overly alert, I formed that habit of regimentally quadruple-checking my contact points as I disassembled anchors and setup my repel.  By the time we arrived at the base of the face, I had drunk a fair bit of water and was feeling better.

As we retraced our steps back towards the tent, dawn began to break.  Skies remained clear but the wind blew strongly from the north.  Finally we crossed the last ice bridge and made the final snowy trudge back to the tent, arriving at our base at 7am - more than a day after leaving.  Once there we shook hands, drank some water and passed out.

When we awoke three hours later the weather had changed drastically for the worse.  Clouds covered the higher peaks and heavier weather could be seen in the distance moving our way.  With our route complete and not wanting to get weathered in on the upper Radiant, Michael radioed Mike King and arranged for a pickup.  We broke camp quickly and were just finishing marking a landing zone on the top of a huge crevasse when we heard the Long-Ranger helicopter approaching.  It was snowing as Mike toed-in and we loaded ourselves and the gear as quickly as possible while trying not to jolt the machine as Mike held it in a semi-hover.




Half an hour later we were back at the White Saddle ranch, only 48 hours after leaving!  The sky was blue with patchy clouds and the temperature felt warm as Michael and I were left to digest events from what now seemed like another planet.

More pics to come...